Fundamentals of Real Analysis
Course description. Rigorous introduction to classical real analysis. Brief review of real numbers. Full discussion of the basic topology of metric spaces, continuity and compactness. Differential analysis of functions of one real variable. Sequences and series of functions.
- MW 3:35pm-4:50pm @ EWG209
- Instructor. Francisco-Javier (Pancho) Sayas. My
personal website is here
and my group's site is here.
- Textbook. Walter Rudin, Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Third edition.
- Office hours. By appointment. Email me or talk to
me in class to get an appointment. I will not reteach
lectures during office hours. I will not solve your
homework problems either. The goal of homework problems is
that you learn how to solve them. The solution is less
relevant than you ability to solve the problem.
- Problem solving sessions. We'll try and find a
time every week for a problem solving session
- Evaluation. %15 short midterm exam (October 10), %25 long midterm exam (November 7), 30% final exam (date TBD), 30% pop quizzes (average of all grades, eliminating the worst one)
- No graded homework